School Bus Safety l School Bus Laws in Ohio
School Bus Safety Report Card for Ohio by Steve Gardner
Founder/President Gardian Angel, LLC www.GardianAngelLLC.com
Qualifications of Presenter
• 20 years of experience as an ASE certified school bus mechanic • 15 years of experience as a transportation supervisor • Credited with organizing the first mock school bus disaster in the state of Ohio in 1996, which involved mentally and physically challenged individuals • Inventor of the patented Gardian Angel® School Bus Safety Lighting System
Steve Gardner (419)693-8854 Helpdesk.Gardian.Angel@Gmail.com www.GardianAngelLLC.com Patent # US 8,669,853 B1 Top Safety Concerns When Boarding the School Bus • Illegal school bus passing • Distracted drivers • Poor visibility Sobering Fact: 119 • “From 2003 to 2012, 174 school-age children died in school transportation related crashes, 55 were occupants of school transportation vehicles and 119 were pedestrians. “ NHTSA 2003 - 2012 Data (Revised June 2014) Focusing on the pedestrians: if each child’s life represents one floor in a building, it would exceed the tallest building in the western hemisphere, One World Trade Center, which soars above the city skyline at 104 stories. Compare that to the 119 stories that were taken away from their families too soon.
What’s the Law for Passing a Stopped School Bus in Ohio? • When the bus comes to a complete stop, the amber lights stop flashing and four red lights— two in front and two in back—start flashing while the children enter or leave the bus. In addition, a stop arm with flashing red lights is automatically extended beneath the window on the left side of the bus. If the bus is stopped on a street or road which has fewer than four lanes, all traffic approaching the bus from either direction must stop at least 10 feet from the front or rear of the bus and remain stopped until the bus begins to move or the bus driver signals motorists to proceed. State Laws Do You Know Where the Stop Arm Violations are Occurring? • “Of the 75,966 stop-arm violations counted, 98% were on the left side of the school bus (the driver’s side).” • “More vehicles passed from the front (58%) than from the rear (42%)”
School Bus Fleet Magazine October 2014 issue page 8
Prior to 2000
• From 1979 – 1999 in Ohio there were 12 children fatalities in the loading zone of a bus.
Kansas Department of Education/ School Bus Safety Unit Continued Reports of Fatalities • 2004 - 2005 Ohio: 1 fatality 2004 - 2005 National School Bus Loading & Unloading Survey • 2007 - 2008 Ohio: 1 fatality 2007 - 2008 National School Bus Loading & Unloading Survey • 2008 - 2009 Ohio: 1 fatality 2008 - 2009 National School Bus Loading & Unloading Survey • 2009 – 2010 Ohio: 2 fatalities 2009 - 2010 National School Bus Loading & Unloading Survey Fatality Excerpt • Ohio: A five-year-old boy was struck and killed by a vehicle who disregarded the school bus red lights. 2004 - 2005 National School Bus Loading & Unloading Survey Fatality Excerpt That Inspired the Gardian Angel® • Ohio: A fifteen-year-old female was crossing the street to her school bus when she was struck and killed by an on-coming vehicle. The school bus was stopped with its red traffic control lights and stop sign activated. The motorist was cited for violating the law requiring all vehicles to stop for the school bus. 2009 - 2010 National School Bus Loading & Unloading Survey Recommendation for Ohio The patented Gardian Angel® School Bus Safety Lighting System
• Warns motorists to pay attention while the stop arm is out • Alerts drivers that students are crossing • Traffic can clearly see children boarding • Students can see where they step to prevent falls • Keeps children safe and out of the “danger zone” • Illuminates through inclement weather, extreme climate change, even creates a visible path in daylight Patent #US 8,669,853 B1 What is the Gardian Angel®?
• See our promotional video and more at www.GardianAngelLLC.com
Gardian Angel® About the System • The lighting system works with any type of bus (A/C/D) and installation can typically take under thirty minutes. • The lighting system even works on buses equipped with multiplex wiring. • There are no additional switches for the driver to operate. The system automatically turns on when the red lights are activated, and turn off when the entrance door of the bus is closed. Consider This • Stop sign cameras are infrared. In darkness, every car is gray in color.
• The Gardian Angel® can show the camera the actual color of the offending vehicle, which is required in some states in order to prosecute. Specifications • DOT SAE lens markings ensures peace of mind during vehicle inspections. • IP 67 certified with O-ring sealed construction – extra protection from dust & water immersion. • It operates in temperatures of -40 to +65 degrees Celsius. • Current draw is 1.66 Amps at 12.8 VDC. Effectiveness of the System • Preliminary data from field test in WY revealed at least a 50% reduction of coal trucks running the school bus red lights on a major road. • Data after completion of the pilot study in WY revealed only one vehicle running a driver’s red lights since installing the lighting system. • The pilot was deemed a success and we were given state approval.
Endorsements • Gardian Angel® is endorsed by the Michigan Association for Pupil Transportation. • We have numerous customer surveys that display the driver’s positive opinions of the system. • Entire fleets are now using our technology.
States Allowing the Gardian Angel ® • Michigan (2013) • Wyoming (June 2014) • Mississippi (Aug. 2014) • Vermont (Oct. 2014) • North Carolina (Nov. 2014) • Nevada (Dec. 2014) • Colorado (Dec. 2014) • Nebraska (Jan. 2015) • New Jersey (Jan. 2015) • Wisconsin (Jan. 2015) • Missouri (Jan. 2015) • Texas (Jan. 2015) • Alaska (Jan. 2015) • Idaho (April 2015) Ordering Information at www.GardianAngelLLC.com
#schoolbusregulations #schoolbussafety #buslight #schoolbuslaws #buslaws #bussafety #busparts #busledlights #schoolbuscameras #exteriorschoolbuscameras #schoolbusstoparmviolations #stoparm #atoparm #education #ohiolaws #ohioschoolbus #ohioschoolbuslaws #ohioschoolbussafety #schoolbuslightsystem #illegalpassing #illegalschoolbuspassing #schooltransportation #pupiltransportation #schoolbus #distracteddrivers #nationalhighwaytrafficsafetyadministration #stoparmviolations #kansasdepartmentofeducation #ohiodepartmentofeducation #ohioschoolbusmechanicsassociation #OhioAssociationforPupilTransportation #nationalassociationforpupiltransportation #schoolbusfleet #schooltransportationnews #schoolbusmagazines #NationalAssociationofStateDirectorsofPupilT #NationalCongressonSchoolTransportation #Stopsigncameras #ohioschoolbusstoplaws #studentsafety #schoolbusparts #schoolbuspart #ledschoolbuslights #schoolbuslight #schoolbusaccidents #schoolbuslights #ledschoolbuslight #schoolbusledlights #ledwarninglights #warninglights #schoolbuswarninglights #schoolbuswarninglight #warninglight #schoolbuslighting #buslighting